My geocaching stats

Profile for kungfuhippie

Cacher Stats

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Greenway Caching: Des Plaines or Root, River!

The last couple of days have taken us far and wide in search of challenges and challenge qualifiers, but the common theme ended up being the greenways along urban rivers. Specifically, the Des Plaines River near Mt Prospect, IL and the Root River in Greendale, WI. By braving the sub-zero temperatures and biting wind, the lil hippies and I were able to grab the finals for: Century of FTFs, Insane Cacher Challenge One Busier Day & Challenge Yourself. We also grabbed quite a few qualifying caches for the Legend of BAT Challenge & MP State Name Challenge.

A frigid Friday afternoon and some fresh intelligence from KeeganC, Team DarkSeid & The4Buckleys meant only one thing - roadtrip. The boys and I made our way down, altering plans to go after Tour le Lac. I'm glad that we made the switch since the challenge has been on my to-do list for the last two years. I even made a trip down last winter, but the lake was mostly open water. As an added bonus, on our way home we headed up through Buffalo Grove and managed to grab nine Legend of BAT caches for the challenge in the dark. I'm looking forward to another trip down to the Des Plaines River Trail to go after all the Operation A.P.E. caches that are waiting for me.


Littlest hippie at Century of FTFs Challenge - he qualifies as well!!

So Saturday afternoon's caching adventure was supposed to be Friday, but with everything getting switched around, here we were. The boys and I hightailed it out to the Whitnall Park area to try and find some caches before the sun set on us. The first order of business was to replace Challenge Yourself for Youngins3, which is a great challenge. I'm looking forward to finishing up both mystery and multis on it soon. The nearby MLB series beckoned as I could grab caches for AZ, CO & TX to work towards qualification of the State Name Challenge. After making those quick grabs, the boys and I wandered through Whitnall Park to grab some froggerz puzzles and along the way grabbed a Red Jeep as well, which was a nice bonus.

All in all, we had a great couple of days caching. Proving once again that you can have fun caching in any season, just get up and get out!

No comments:

Post a Comment